Saturday, November 11, 2006

The adventures continue

Me: Hey ***, I think we should do something about this...
***: About what?
Me: This program.. I dont think I can do it all by myself.. I am sure you are trying your best.. but unfortunately.. that isnt enough.. So far, this double work has not been affecting me too much.. but I need to start working on my term projects.. I simply cannot afford to spend so much time on this..
***: OK, Ill learn programming in 2 weeks
Me: Well.. It is not possible for you to learn programming in 2 weeks... Its an art.. like dance or music.. you can learn C syntax.. but programming? you cannot do it...

** is silent for some time.. Goes out for a walk and comes back...


***: You are so rude
***: You are condescending
***: You boss around so much and do not know proper etiquette
***: Take it from me that if you talk like this in company meetings you will be thrown out.
***: blah blah blah


Well my adventures in Canda are continuing. After being comically accused earlier I was accused pretty seriously by someone of being rude and having a condescending attitude. This happened in pretty dramatic fashion, with blood shot eyes and a loud voice. All this, for pointing out to the person that he/she cannot learn programming in two weeks. I just cant understand how on earth can someone learn programming in two weeks. You can learn C syntax in two weeks but not programming. Its an art like dance or music. It takes time to learn it. I guess the ego couldnt take it and resulted in me listening to a mindless rant for a few hours.

This event actually provides evidence for a hypothesis that I had for many years. Many people often say that westerners are very polite and thats not the case with people in India. Westerners say sorry and thank you for everything. They keep the door open when you go behind them and stuff like that. I had actually had serious reservations about this. When you say sorry and thank you for every damn thing, the word looses its meaning. Its like the air hostesses saying thank you. They dont mean it. When you dont mean it, why say it? Behind this facade of politeness lies a gargantuan ego which hisses its head like a rattle snake at the slightest hint. I am not trying to say that all Indians are buddhas or anything of that sort. I just want to say that the proportion of people who are actually polite and who are not is pretty much same all over the world. Putting up a facade of politeness for the sake of it is very artifical and does not make one gentle and is not necessary. If someone doesnt keep the door open for me, I can do it myself. I am happy as long as the other person does not prevent me from opening the door :)

3 comments:

BadhriNath said...

u should know how and when to use the mouth. And even then the purpose and environment should be considered :)

for eg, you are not expected to eat in say for eg : in a dusty place.

Partha said...

well.. i do belive I know that.. I am not exactly behaviourally challenged :)

Anon said...

:D funny... totally agree with you on the trans-cultural perceptions of politeness...