Monday, July 28, 2008

Schadenfreude vs Mudita

For long, that is since I started preparing for GRE, I knew this word schadenfreude. This is a german word that is used quite often directly in English. It has no equivalent word in English. It means, 'enjoyment derived from someone elses' misfortune'. For a long time I simply wondered why isnt there (or atleast why dont I know) a single word meaning the exact opposite (in some language and not necessarily in English or German). But, I always stopped at wondering but never looked for it. Recently, I found the courage to look for it. And, almost unsurprisingly, it was a word apparently used regularly in buddhist circles - mudita (Wikipedia claims the word is present both in Pali and Sanskrit). It means, 'rejoicing in others' good fortune'. I was rejoicing at my fortune of finding this word. Does anyone experience mudita? :)

No comments: