Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mwami Shimirwa

Desperately struggling for words and adjectives! Tears rolled down my eyes quite a few times as I read this book! What a story!!!!

Been dazed for a long time after reading this book. Unable to bring myself to reality!

Some links to get the context:

Rwandan Genocide - Estimated that about 800,000 (thats eight hundred thousand) people slaughtered to death during a period of 100 days

Left to Tell - The story of a lady, narrated in first person, who survived it all hiding inside the toilet of a pastor along with 7 other women for about 3 months! At the end of it all, she looks at a killer of her family and tells him that she forgives him and has no hatred for him!


PS: Title in Kinyarwanda means “Thank you God for love beyond our understanding
PPS: Thanks Anupama for introducing me to this book. Though I've seen the movie 'Hotel Rwanda' this was a wholly new perspective!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That book is HUGE inspiration for me - that its possible to keep the head in the most dire situations.
You can replace Jesus with anything. But, its possible to access this spiritual energy.

Sandhya said...

Have you read the Diary of Anne Frank? That is my MOST favourite book till date...Quite close to me..Even there anne never once scolds the Germans... even in those circumstances she had belief in the ultimate goodness of people...

Partha said...

hey no sandhya.. Ill read soon..!