Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Truly Inspirational!!!

This is something that one of my close friends Sriram (a) thala wrote to a few of us some time back. This has already found its way into the blogspots of a few of my other friends too. Just felt that I could add more beauty to mine too by posting it here. This write up contains a few references to our college VIT, but it is quite applicable to everyone.


Hi Guys,

I was just reflecting the other day about times at VIT and life in general and I must say I came up with some very self probing and revealing insights. How many of us remember the times we were at VIT when gangs of people would get together and there would be general talks on how we from VIT would not stand a chance in the big bad world! I must say we have not done badly for ourselves and there's no reason to not be optimistic. Just take a look at the profiles of the people on this group! Now many of us still dont have jobs and are still to earn a penny but IMHO thats not an indication of success. Often times the pursuit of a dream and happiness is more fulfilling than the destination which will always be a step distant but I believe we are all getting there in out own little ways. There is however only one thing that bothers me. I call it the "Comfort Zone Syndrome ". I do believe that many of my friends from VIT are short charging themselves ( as I have done in the past ) by not taking calculated risks. Often a risk must be taken head on. But the Indian and general mentality is to always have a "concrete" backup plan. However, more often than not, this concrete back up plan becomes the comfort zone and the original plan is forgotten. How many of us (either on this forum or friends we can think of)promised ourlseves that we would "eventually" do that thing of ourdreams - and that the job/ temporary occupation / course was just a stop gap / back up plan? Perhaps I am being unrealistic. But its just that I always belived that there were many in VIT who had real potential with the intelligence. And I have tried always to push them on the path they dread - the path of risk. No journey is without risk. What I would request of members of this forum therefore - if you remember a friend from VIT (or indeed from anywhere) who one day told you his dream (perhaps under the influence of alcohol in RiverView :) and if he has forgotten about it - then please do this - fireup a browser and write him a mail. This could change someone's life. Its nice to see some people on this forum whom I have not met in a while. Isnt it surprising that its almost 2 years since we left college! To round off - my only fear for those who have not taken the big plunges yet - will we have the courage to tread the path of fear? Because in time many will have a wife and children ;) Risk taking will definitely not come naturally then if it has not already.

Regards
Sriram


- EOM

Thought Id add a few lines to this myself and spoil the pristine beauty of the above message from thala... but what the heck, its my blog ;)

The main point to note in the above write up is about 'Risk Taking'. If you want a clear cut path before you embark on the journey then you will probably never take the risk. Also, IMHO, if you have a clear cut path before you then it is no risk. You will probably never get it or probably get it very late in your life when it would be too late. All you need is a heart that should always pine for something. With that and trust in your talent in hand, just take the plunge. You will find the path. Remember, its the journey that is the thrill and not the destination. It is great if you reach your destination but even if you dont, you would have lived a very fulfilling life where you relentlessly chased your dreams. Again IMHO, it is zillion times better to fail after trying than not trying at all. OK enough of rhetoric ... go after your dreams...

No comments: