Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Why CORE-DUMPED?????

For the uninitiated, core-dumped is an error that the C/C++ compiler reports when one of the pointers in the code violates the sarcosanct boundaries in the memory. This is actually a very frustrating error and almost all C/C++ programmers would swear that this is a real pain in the arse.

The error statement would simply be "Segmentation fault - core dumped" or "Something else equally bizarre - core dumped". Hardly of any help. Will not contain any details regarding why the error ocurred or where it ocurred. So to come out of it, you really have to dig in deep and try and solve the issue which can be really very frustrating.

Now, this blog got created when I was screaming at the top of my lungs for someone to come and rescue me from the clutches of one such error and hence this got the name core-dumped. The compiler would simply dump the core if there is something in the code that affects things that it reveres - basically boundaries in the memory. Similarly, if there is anything that affects me, then this blog will contain that. So this is basically my core-dump. But it will be better than C/C++ core-dump as this will contain the when, where, what and why...

The title "Manathirku Varuvathellam" means "Whatever that comes to my mind" in my native tongue Tamil. So you can expect posts on diverse topics consisting of but not limited to tech stuff, reviews, links to great websites, attempt at wry humour, my feelings etc...

No comments: