Saturday, May 09, 2009

And my vote goes to

For a long time, I was thinking I was not going to vote. Democracy in India is functioning only in a namesake manner and even the most honest government would pursue policies that I am totally not comfortable with! Then, for some time, I was dilly dallying with 49-O, the none of the above option. I have heard stories of how election officials not exactly being friendly to people who want to exercise this option, due to the additional work that they have to do. I was preparing myself to may be try it.

Then, I heard that Mr. Sarath Babu, CEO Foodking, is a candidate from my constituency (South Chennai). I listened to a few of his speeches and his manifesto. He does seem to be a person with his heart in the right place. But, both he and his manifesto to be a bit one dimensional. Yes, his journey from the slums to his position today is purely because of sheer hard work and dedication (and I am absolutely totally stunned by his effort). But, he seems to be talking only about this in every video I have seen. Nevertheless, he seemed to be a much better option than the thugs that are expected from the traditional parties.

Then, today, I heard of Mr. N.S. Venkatraman of Desiya Paadhukaapu Kazhagam. He is also a candidate from the South Chennai Lok Sabha constituency in the upcoming parliamentary elections. Like Sarath Babu, Venkatraman also seems to have his heart in the right place. He seems to be more mature and his policies and his ideas seem to be more multi-dimensional than that of Sarath Babu. But, his policies are also centred around "conventional development" et al which I am not very comfortable with.

My vote this time is primarily a voice for probity in public life. So, I dont mind the differences in ideologies with either of these two candidates. So, my vote this time is for either of these two candidates and, for now, I am tending towards voting for Venkatraman!!!

No comments: