Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Best effort basis

My mom was lamenting today afternoon that if the first gastroenterologist whom we referred my dad good, he would have identified my dad's troubles earlier and my dad's life would have been much simpler. I was then supporting the doctor and said that they always work on a 'best effort basis' and one really cannot blame them unless they have been negligent. My mom was convinced. After sometime, I was not.

I think it is quite insane to have a relationship where the doctor works on a 'best effort basis' but the patient cannot pay on a 'as you please basis'. It really irks me that a 'best effort basis' effort commands a flat Rs. 200 or a flat Rs. 500 fee. I am not blaming any individual doctor but its the system that everyone is being part of. A flat Rs. 50 fee is a different affair as almost all 'as you please basis' payments would be that much.

So, a 'best effort basis' effort should probably go hand in hand with a 'as you please basis' payment. This logic can naturally extend to all fields and need not be applicable only to the medical field.

3 comments:

Jeevita said...

Then maybe the doc will do his treatments on an 'As I feel like' basis instead of 'best effort basis'.

sandy said...

the world is a buyers market..!!! I think that's the only reason for the so called "best effort basis".

Partha said...

@Jeevitha - I am not sure about that.. people respond to the system in place usually.. as long as it does not stifle them...

@Sandy - I think the economy is what we build it up to.. I think it has no characteristic that is "by definition".. that is it has no characteristic that will appear no matter what the situation is... so, we can build it up to have or not have any characteristic.. of course, theoretically...