Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mad Chennai Mad Money

I'm mouthshut by chennai's mad shopping spree, buying power and cost of living. I have travelled to the worlds most expensive cities NewYork, Washington DC, Vancouver, Seattle. None of them can stand before the cost of living in chennai currently.

I went for shopping yesterday and wherever I pay for my food or cloth, I remember I signed a bill for not less than 1000 rupees. I didn't find any property for less than 50 lakhs even in the outskirts of chennai, rent for not less than 10000 rupees.

The greatest shock of my life was when I went for breakfast with my family to my fav. Saravana Bhavan, I was alarmed to see a dosa cost 90 bucks and mushroom pepper fry for 120 bucks. I wonder how there was huge crowd waiting to pay so much for the same food we got 5 years back. Not everyone looked like software people. I have eaten in Saravanan Bhavan in NY, Vancouver and SFO, but have only paid 10-15 $ for Buffet meals equivalent to 50 rupees as income/expenditure ratio without conversion.

I guess only people who earn in dollars can spend in chennai. People who earn in rupee might have to find some other city for living. Me, who is very much interested to come back to chennai very shortly, to stay with family and friends might find nowhere in the city. I might very well stay in Newyork downtown for a affordable living than in chennai's suburbs.

This is mad money.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People don't mind about money when they are spending time with their family & friends in such places.
Even ratio conversion is not applicable when it comes to quality time spent Vs Money.

Life will move on quicker than expected.

Saravanan Mathialagan said...

absolutely accepted, my intention was to mention about the cost of living in chennai which came up very quickly, that ratio I couldnt possibly accept.

Anonymous said...

COst Of Living (COOL)- Increased for many reasons. Change is inevitable :) Adapting to changes aren't easy as earlier too...right?