Thursday, October 18, 2007

Rabid optimist

Received this poem on a mailing list. Apparently this was written by someone called 'Satinath Sarangi'. I don't know why, but I find this poem to be enchantingly beautiful. I've read this so many times since morning and I can't seem to get enough of it.

Yes,
I am a rabid optimist
For me
Every tree that continues to stand
Every stream that continues to flow
Every child that runs away from home
is an indication
that the battle is not only on
It is being won.

You may tell me about
the nuclear arms race
And all I can tell you
is that an unknown child
held my hand
with love.

You will try to draw me
into the plateau of practical life Tell me
that not only god
but all the religious
and irreligious leaders are dead
And all I can tell you
is that across the forest
Lives a young man
who calls the earth
his mother.

You will give me the boring details
of the rise of state power
after every revolution
And all I can tell you
is that in our tribe
we still share our bread

You will reason with me
And I will talk nonsense like this
And because
the difference between breathing
and living life
is the difference between
reason and poetry
I will read poems to you
Poems full of optimism
Poems full of dreams
And maybe a poem better than this

3 comments:

skay said...

Asatho Maa Sad Gamaya
Thamaso Maa Jyothir Gamaya
Mrithyor Maa Amritham Gamaya

- is what I felt after the poem..
Supreme light inside.. Nice.. so nice.. that I can't say no more.. :)

Anonymous said...

The poem gave me goosebumps. Thanks for sharing!

Partha said...

@ bhavya / SK - yes.. same shared feeling!!!