Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Yoga Mandapam / யோகா மண்டபம்

When you really really want something, the universe conspires to give it to you!

I was really stuck in not being able to practice my yogasana due to lack of space in my cramped house and super expensive yoga shalas nearby. The best place in my house to do yoga is the kitchen as it is spacious and has sufficient ventilation. Unfortunately, my mom starts cooking at like 5:30AM and hence it is impossible for me to practice there in the mornings. As for the yoga shalas, I found one place that teaches the same style of yogasana that I have learnt but they asked for Rs. 3K per month. Another place which practices a diff style asked for Rs. 1.7K per month. I was quite stunned by these high prices, especially the first place. I did not pay as much even in Canada. I used to pay something like CDN 60 per month coming to about Rs. 2.4K per month. It makes me wonder whether something is truly a yoga class if it is not taught in a 'gift economy' or a 'near gift economy' model (more on this later). I personally feel that Rs.1K - Rs. 1.5K per month would be a fair price for a 'near gift economy' model style functioning.

But then a politician, the ward counselor, (yes, you read it right, a politician) constructed an awesome yoga mandapam in a beautiful and recently renovated park nearby! Thank you Mr. K. Dhanasekaran! Just before this mandapam was declared open, about a week ago, I saw this building as I was traveling through a bus and I couldn't believe my eyes. But then, it is for real and I have been practicing here for the last 4 days! Typically, government constructed buildings in India are haphazardly done. But, at least externally, this seems to be quite well done!


நன்றி திரு க. தனசேகரன்


PS: Someone asked me if I really believed in the first line in this post. The answer is yes. But, there is another part to it that is pertinent. If I do not get what I really really want, Ill say, 'Well, the universe knows better' :D

1 comment:

maya seshagiri said...

PS: Someone asked me if I really believed in the first line in this post. The answer is yes. But, there is another part to it that is pertinent. If I do not get what I really really want, Ill say, 'Well, the universe knows better' :D

beautiful.