Saturday, August 15, 2009

Mindful driving

Many times, we get lost in the traffic and we are desperately trying to get to the destination instead of staying in the moment. The moment is all we have and it requires total attention from us. Not being focused in the moment when we are driving could be really dangerous, especially in the extraordinarily chaos of the Indian roads.

I realized this totally when I was recently driving from Alexander Square to CIT Nagar on Anna Salai in Chennai. I felt like a grain of sand in a sandstorm. I was desperately trying to get out of the situation and was totally lost to the moment. I managed to hit a car very slightly once but came quite close to hitting many other vehicles. It was quite dangerous.

So, I think it is very crucial to be in the moment in such chaos. Driving in a straight line is probably the most important outcome of that. We might be a bit delayed but its so much more safer. In addition, when we are driving calmly, it might rub on to others also. This might be the mightiest contribution we could make to improve the traffic situation in India.

No comments: