Friday, November 30, 2007

Ek Calgary mein ek partha raghu thatha

If you are not familiar with tamil movies, the above title will not make sense. If you did'nt get the above title, get someone familiar with tamil movies to explain the context of this scene - 'ek gaon mein' (Oh yeah.. ridiculously horrible acting.. but once you know the context and the fact that very few tams know Hindi, it is really funny). My hindi learning experience in Calgary has been similar :).

1.) Was speaking to a friend about Sanskrit and suddenly realized that another good friend's father is a Sanskrit professor and I turned to him and said...

'Tera baap sanskrit ka prof hai na?'

The reply came with a rather unusual stern face, 'Saala.. kya bol rahe ho?' :D

Took some explanation to make him understand that it was an error... hehe..


2.) Was teaching another friend tamil and was explaining relationships in tamil. That day I was teaching relationships and was explaining the tamil word 'periyamma', which refers to ones mom's elder sister. I did'nt know the hindi word for that relationship and hence explained it. Unfortunately, after I started explaining, I forgot the word for elder in hindi for a crucial few seconds and I ended up saying..

'Teri maa kee................' (long pause) :D and then I said.. 'badi bahen ko kaise bulavoge'?

Her face turned red and she said.. 'kameena.. gaali kyoon de rahe ho... maine kya kiya?'

Thankfully, she knew my Hindi skills and we both had a good laugh when we realized it :)


3.) Went to a friends house for some puja during Diwali and found a photo of some old guru. Wanted to feign interest on the guru and wanted to ask his name and so I asked..

'Uska naam kya hai'
:D

'Unnnnkaaaaaa'... was the stern reply..... :)


... and so continues my hindi escapades!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hindi being our National language still many tamil ppl doesnt know that...Its real hard...Keep going Partha ...mistakes are to make u more powerful...

Anonymous said...

ha ha...so kala akshar still bhains barabar eh ;-)

Dushti

Naveen said...

lolz, thnks partha, it cracked me up. just back from the long trip into the hindi hinterland and similar goofups galore! :)

btw, soukyama? long time no talk :)

Niva said...

aaha partha ivlo naala neenga hindi la pisthunu thappa nenachutu irundhane?! :P